Vocab Unit 4 Quiz
Class/Partner/Individual Activity to practice Imagery and Figurative Language in Poetry and identify the effect these have on the reader (that’s you)
Whole Class Activity: Read “Figures of Speech” pp. 428 and 429
Read “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” p. 457. Answer ?s together.
- How is the speaker feeling at the beginning of the poem?
- How does the speaker’s mood change that day because of what he sees?
- What simile does the speaker use to describe his loneliness?
- Which words in the poem personify the daffodils, or make them seem like people—even friends and companions—to the lonely speaker?
Read “The Gift” p. 469 – With your partner, answer the following questions in COMPLETE sentences, using part of the question in your answer – one sheet of paper with both your names on it.
- Throughout the poem, Lee uses precise images. List at least four images that appeal to your senses of sight, hearing, and touch and therefore help you imagine what happened to the little boy and to the speaker’s wife. Include with the imagery words what sense(s) Lee appeal(s) to.
- In the second stanza, what metaphors does the speaker use to describe his father’s voice?
- What metaphor describes his father’s hands?
- What do these figures of speech reveal about the speaker’s feelings toward his father?
Due Monday, 11/09/15: Self-Select BookAssignmentQ1
Friday Writing #7 – Due: Thursday, 09/12/15 Friday Writing#7 A Gift